Key facts about the Battle Appomattox Court House.
- April 9, 1865
- Appomattox County, Virginia.
Principal Union commanders:
- Brigadier General Charles H. Smith
- Brigadier General Ranald S. Mackenzie
- Major General George Crook
- Major General Edward Ord
Principal Confederate commanders:
- Major General John B. Gordon
- Major General James Longstreet
Confederate forces engaged:
- 1st and 2nd Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia
Union forces engaged:
- Army of the Potomac’s cavalry
- 2nd and 6th Corps of the Army of the Potomac
- 24th and 25th Corps of the Army of the James
- Estimated 164 (killed, wounded, captured/missing)
- Estimated 500 (killed, wounded, captured/missing)
- After the Battle of Appomattox Court House, Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia to Union General Ulysses S. Grant.
- The Battle of Appomattox Court House last battlefield engagement of the Army of Northern Virginia.
- The Battle of Appomattox Court House last battle of the American Civil War fought in Virginia.