Key facts about the Confederate Army of the South.
- February 1865
- April 10, 1865
- The first and only commander of the Army of the South was General Joseph E. Johnston.
- The Army of the South consisted of soldiers from the Army of Tennessee, all troops in the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, and the Department of Southern Virginia.
- The Army of the South participated in the Battle of Averasboro on March 16, 1865, in North Carolina.
- The Army of the South participated in the Battle of Bentonville (March 19 – 21, 1865) in North Carolina.
- When General Joseph E. Johnston reorganized the Army of the South between April 8 and April 10, 1865, he renamed it the Army of Tennessee.