Also Known As
- Battle of Ox Hill
Date and Location
- September 1, 1862
- Fairfax County, Virginia
Principal Union Commanders
Principal Confederate Commanders
- Major General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson
Union Forces Engaged
- 9th Corps of the Union Army of the Potomac (attached to the Army of Virginia)
Confederate Forces Engaged
- 2nd Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia
Number of Union Soldiers Engaged
- Roughly 6,000
Number of Confederate Soldiers Engaged
- Roughly 20,000
Estimated Union Casualties
- 1,300 (killed, wounded and missing/captured)
Estimated Confederate Casualties
- 800 (killed, wounded and missing/captured)
- Union generals Philip Kearny and Isaac Stevens were killed during the Battle of Chantilly.
- The Battle of Chantilly was the final engagement of Confederate General Robert E. Lee’s Northern Virginia Campaign.
Timeline of the Northern Virginia Campaign
These are the main battles and events of the Northern Virginia Campaign in order.