- May 10, 1864
- Chesterfield County, Virginia
Principal Union Commanders
- Major General Benjamin Butler
- Colonel C. J. Dobbs
- Major O. S. Sanford
Principal Confederate Commanders
- General P. G. T. Beauregard
- Major General Robert Ransom
- Brigadier General Seth Barton
Union Forces Engaged
- 1st Division, 10th Corps
Confederate Forces Engaged
- Seth Barton’s (Armistead’s) Brigade
Number of Union Soldiers Engaged
- Roughly 3,400
Number of Confederate Soldiers Engaged
- Roughly 2,000
- 280 (killed, wounded, captured/missing)
- 249 (killed, wounded, captured/missing)
- On May 10, elements of Confederate Major General Robert Ransom’s division conducted a reconnaissance-in-force against a portion of Major General Benjamin Butler’s army that was destroying the railroad at Chester Station.
- After General Alfred Terry’s reinforcements arrived, the Yankees turned back Confederate assaults.
Timeline of the Bermuda Hundred Campaign
These are the main battles and events of the Bermuda Hundred Campaign in order.