Key facts about the Battle of Poison Spring.
- April 18, 1864
- Quachita County, Arkansas
Principal Union Commander:
- Colonel James M. Wilson
Principal Confederate Commander:
- Brigadier General John S. Marmaduke
- Brigadier General Samuel B. Maxey
Union Forces Engaged:
- Williams’ wagon train detachment
- 1st Kansas (Colored) Infantry Regiment
Confederate Forces Engaged:
- Marmaduke’s Cavalry Brigade
- Maxey’s Cavalry Brigade
Estimated Union Losses:
- 300+ (killed, wounded, or captured)
Estimated Confederate Losses:
- 114 (killed, wounded, and missing).
- Confederate Victory
- After the Battle of Poison Spring, Confederate soldiers mercilessly shot, bayoneted, and scalped defenseless wounded and captive black soldiers serving with the 1st Kansas (Colored) Infantry Division.