Key facts about Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston's surrender of 89,270 Confederate soldiers at Bennett Place, near Hillsborough, North Carolina in 1865.
- April 17 – 26, 1865
- Bennett Place, near Hillsborough, North Carolina
Principal Union commander:
- Major General William T. Sherman
Principal Confederate commander:
- General Joseph E. Johnston
Union forces involved:
- Army of the Tennessee
- Army of Georgia
- Army of the Ohio
Confederate forces involved:
- Army of the South
- all troops in the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida
- Johnston’s surrender of 89,270 Confederate soldiers was the largest surrender by either side during the Civil War.