Key facts about the Battle of Buzzard's Roost.
- May 9, 1864
- Whitfield County, Georgia, near the town of Dalton
Principal Union commander:
- Major General George Thomas
Principal Confederate commander:
- General Joseph E. Johnston
Union forces engaged:
- Army of the Cumberland
Confederate forces engaged:
- Army of Tennessee
Number of soldiers engaged:
- Union victory.
- Although Rebel defenders were able to hold back the Army of the Cumberland, the engagement accomplished Major General William T. Sherman’s objective of holding the Confederates in check as he successfully outflanked General Joseph Johnston’s Army of Tennessee.
- The Battle of Buzzard’s Roost was part of a larger engagement known as the Battle of Rocky Face Ridge, which was the first encounter between Union forces during the Atlanta Campaign.