- Irvin McDowell
- October 15, 1818
- Columbus, Ohio
- Abram Irvin and Eliza (Seldon) McDowell
- United States Military Academy (1834)
- Miltary officer
- Major General (USA), Major General (USVA), Army of Northestern Virginia commanding officer
- Helen Burden (1844)
- Squash McDowell
Place of Death:
- San Francisco, California
Date of Death:
- May 4, 1885
Place of Burial:
- San Francisco National Cemetery, San Francisco, California
- Irvin McDowell attended the College de Troyes in France.
- Irvin McDowell entered the United States Military Academy in 1834, at the age of sixteen.
- Irvin McDowell graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1838, twenty-third in his class.
- One of Irvin McDowell’s classmates at West Point was P.G.T. Beauregard, his future adversary at First Bull Run.
- Irvin McDowell entered the U.S. Army as a brevet second lieutenant with the First Artillery on July 1, 1838.
- After graduating from West Point, Irvin McDowell served on the Maine frontier until 1841.
- Irvin McDowell was promoted to second lieutenant on July 7, 1838.
- Irvin McDowell served at the United States Military Academy as an assistant instructor of infantry from 1841 to 1845.
- Irvin McDowell was promoted to first lieutenant on October 7, 1842.
- Irvin McDowell married Helen Burden at the Second Presbyterian Church in Troy on November 13, 1844.
- Irvin McDowell served in the Mexican-American War (1846 – 1848).
- Irvin McDowell was promoted to brevet captain on February 23, 1847, for gallant and meritorious conduct at the Battle of Buena Vista (February 23, 1847).
- Irvin McDowell was promoted to brevet major on May 13, 1847.
- Irvin McDowell was promoted to brigadier general on May 14, 1861.
- Irvin McDowell commanded the Army of Northeastern Virginia from May 27 – July 25, 1861.
- Irvin McDowell was the commanding general of the Union defeat at the First Battle of Bull Run (July 21, 1861).
- Irvin McDowell was a corps commander in the Army of the Potomac from March 13 – August 12, 1862.
- Irvin McDowell was promoted to major general of volunteers on May 14, 1862.
- Irvin McDowell was promoted to brevet major general in the regular army on March 13, 1865.
- Irvin McDowell was mustered out of volunteer service on September 1, 1866.
- Irvin McDowell was promoted to major general in the regular army on November 25, 1872.
- Irvin McDowell retired from active service in the U.S. Army on October 15, 1882.
- Irvin McDowell died of pyloric disease of the stomach at San Francisco, California on May 4, 1885.
- Irvin McDowell was buried at San Francisco National Cemetery, San Francisco, California.